Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My poor abandoned blog...

OK, I admit it, I am a lame blogger.  Im actually OK with that though.  In order for me to be a good blogger something else in my life would have to give, and lately that something would be sleep.  Trust me, as much as I enjoy draining my thoughts out onto my keyboard I much prefer sleep over just about anything.  Lately actually, that would be anything!!!

Baby O is thriving, doing well and a ball of joy.  He, however, does not sleep very much.  He might take one nap a day, and then he is up at least two times a night but typically three.  He sleeps with us and nurses throughout the night.  I am super lazy on this one and just roll over, give him the breast and try to fall back to sleep.  What I have noticed however is that even though I am sleeping while he is nursing (and sleeping) I am not sleeping well until he latches off and I can roll over onto my belly.  My point is that even though he is up a few times and sleeps while nursing himself back to a solid sleep, I am not really resting until he get there, which means I am up for a couple hours each night.  Im not complaining necessarily, I am simply explaining why sleep is so important to me these days.  :-)

So, what else has been going on with us?

We are doing well, my husband still has a job which these days is a blessing.  We are nervous, as most people are, and trying to figure out what we would do if we somehow lost our only source of income.  The ideas range from selling the house and living in a camper while traveling the North American Continent (my idea) to saving every dime we can and hoping to be prepared should this horrible possibility actually occur (his idea).  Basically, we are taking his route on this one.  You never know though...

The kids are great, they are growing and learning and expanding their interests.  Our oldest is really developing a love of art.  He is still fencing, drumming, and working on his lessons, but art has become a fascination of his.  He is actually a really talented and creative person.  Rare for kids with his dx, but wonderful.  My little guy is not so little anymore.  He will be 10 this spring and is going through that lovely time known as the nine year change.  I remember this with my older son.  It is similar to the three year old thing, except with different behaviors but a very familiar level of parental frustration.  He did get some bunnies this year to tend.  That seems to help us get through the nine year thing and to develop a sense of independence and responsibility.  I think it is working.  We did lose one of them early on, which was a terrible blow to him, however a wonderful learning experience.  I hope to never see that level of sadness in my son's face ever again.  I just remember wanting desperately to say or do the right thing and knowing that this was one of those times where I could really only hug him and comfort him and express my sadness to him.  I hope I didnt scar the poor kid.  I guess we will find out in therapy down the road.

Our daughter is growing and becoming really independent.  She is an interesting ride.  Very strong willed, inspired and stubborn.  She is creative and smart as can be.  Her ability to be resourceful is almost scary.  She will be a really great woman one day.  Her complete honesty can be challenging sometimes, but mostly only because it is uncomfortable to not have her "perform" for the public.  She either wants to hug you or she doesnt.  It is that simple.  She is learning to read right now.  This is the second child I have gotten to teach to read.  It is a really fun and exciting experience.

I am doing well.  Trying to develop systems for our home to function smoothly.  Im trying to have a good new year where I am in charge of my house and my multiple responsibilities as opposed to them being in charge of me.  We'll see how I do.  I figure if I use this blog as a way to record my progress and to keep my motivation maybe I will make some progress!!!  :-)


3 comments:

Sunshine Alternative Mama said...

It's nice to "hear" your voice again! I just happened to check some of the old Enki blogs this morning and here you had posted just today!

Salihah said...

I've been an MIA blogger, too! Found you on the MDC blog list. I love your avatar on your blog with your baby on your chest. Priceless, tender, sweet. Much love to you and your family.

Tanya said...

Hi
i came across your blog and some of your posts from 2006 regarding Enki. I am wavering between Christopherus and Enki . My girls are 7 and 8 1/2 and we have always taken an unschooling approach. You were very happy with Enki in 2006. Do you still use it ? I so or not, what are your feelings now on it ? Same for Christopherus.

Kind Regards
Tanya